A Beacon of Hope is the first episode of the second season in the Netflix series, Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous. The episode was released on January 22, 2021.
Still stranded on the island — and still reeling from the apparent loss of Ben — the campers make a last-ditch attempt at rescue by sending out an SOS.
After the events of season 1, the group is left running from dinosaurs and carrying Yasmina Fadoula, who is injured. Darius Bowman has everyone head to Main Street in search of food and communication, but everyone spends the day goofing off, with Kenji Kon playing with walkie talkies and finding frozen pizza that smaller dinosaurs steal, Brooklynn filming for her followers, and Sammy Gutierrez reading a book. Sammy manages to discover a distress beacon in a book, but no one is able to find it that day.
Yasmina takes first watch, and wakens Darius from a nightmare, wherein he is blamed by Ben Pincus for letting him die. On waking up, Yasmina suggests that he do something fun, like pushups, to clear his head, but instead he looks at dinosaur information plaques. On doing so, he realizes that the beacon is probably camouflaged, and so the next day the group searches in earnest for the beacon. They find it — in a T. rex lair.
By spreading out and using the walkie talkies, the group is able to monitor the dinosaur to know when it's safe to enter the lair, at which point Darius and Kenji do so. In the lair, they're unable to unseat the beacon, but they are able to open it an activate it. Before the T. rex can return, Brooklynn distracts the dinosaur with a cutout of herself and a recording of her voice from the camera she found earlier, leading the T. rex to destroy the cutout while she escapes unharmed. Thanks to the distraction, Darius and Kenji also escape with everyone else to safety, where they plan to stay alive until help can arrive.
Characters and Cast
- Paul-Mikél Williams as Darius Bowman, a camper and dinosaur expert
- Sean Giambrone as Ben Pincus, a sensitive and bookish camper
- Kausar Mohammed as Yasmina Fadoula, an athletic camper
- Jenna Ortega as Brooklynn, a camper and social media personality
- Ryan Potter as Kenji Kon, a camper
- Raini Rodriguez as Sammy Gutierrez, a boisterous and friendly camper
- Keston John as Fredrick Bowman, Darius Bowman's father
- Sammy called the T. rex by her popular nickname, "Rexy", for the first time on screen in this episode. The T. rex was previously called this in the original novel, The Evolution of Claire, and Jurassic Park: The Game.