In February 2017, the Costa Rican Institute of Volcanology (CRIV) reports the long-dormant volcano on Isla Nublar, Mount Sibo, has become active again after nearly 500 years. A month later, the Dinosaur Protection Group is founded by Jurassic World's former senior assets manager, Claire Dearing.
As the world's first organization formed to fight against the mistreatment of dinosaurs, the DPG operates under the principle that just because humans brought dinosaurs back from extinction, that doesn't give people the right to assume control over the creatures and neglect or exploit them. The DPG's goal is to find a way for both species to coexist peacefully while ensuring the dinosaurs experience limited human intrusion. The DPG isn't sponsored by any major corporation and is completely funded by its supporters. Through its funding, the organization works through various channels to educate people on dinosaurs, engage with Congress and other forms of legal legislation, and raise awareness of their cause with peaceful marches, taking direct action only when needed.
The Dinosaur Protection Group closely monitors the state of Mount Sibo. In September, Mt. Sibo is officially reclassified as active, and on October 5, its Volcanic Status Level (VSL) is registered at MAG 03 for significant activity. Learning that Mt. Sibo is close to eruption and has enough power to wipe out Isla Nublar's dinosaurs in a single blow, Claire has the group organize a rescue operation and reaches out to Owen Grady for him to help the DPG evacuate the dinosaurs.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
The Dinosaur Protection Group debuts in the 2018 film Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom as an activist group that has arisen in order to garner support for rescuing the remaining dinosaurs on Isla Nublar. Founded by Claire Dearing, they are a small band of volunteers, dinosaur enthusiasts, and many connected to Jurassic World and InGen. Their introduction at the start of the film shows that they have a meager office location in a rundown San Francisco building.
Claire Dearing arrives at the DPG headquarters with coffee for her coworkers. As she arrives fellow member Zia Rodriguez becomes aggravated by a Congresswoman Delgado. Claire takes over and manages to ease things with the Congresswoman and gain her support right before MSNBC broadcasts the Senate Hearing's decision which is to not condone U.S. Government support to rescue the dinosaurs. Claire with tears in her eyes says the dinosaurs will all die due to no one caring to which Franklin Webb retorts that "we [the Dinosaur Protection Group] do" and Claire turns to see her loyal volunteers. They get back to work when Claire is called by the Estate of Sir Benjamin Lockwood.
After meeting with Lockwood and learning that Sir Benjamin Lockwood and his asssistant Eli Mills have already funded and begun an operation to rescue the dinosaurs, Claire joins forces with the Estate in order to retrieve Blue. The Dinosaur Protection Group works with Lockwood's estate from here on and Claire, Zia, and Franklin join a special team which includes Owen Grady (whom Claire recruits shortly before their departure to Nublar) that takes off to the island.
- Claire Dearing: the founder of the group. DPG founder and activist Claire Dearing has committed her life to the protection of dinosaurs after surviving the incident at the park in 2015. After spending her early career consulting in the fields of process management and project implementation services, Claire now heads a team of thirty volunteers at the DPG.
- Franklin Webb: the systems analyst of the group. Having previously worked at Jurassic World as an IT technician, Franklin Webb now operates the DPG’s social media and online marketing campaigns. As his surname comically suggests, Franklin is an expert on all things to do with computers and the internet. This makes him an important asset to the DPG’s reach around the globe.
- Zia Rodriguez: the paleo-veterinarian of the group. Zia Rodriguez trained in pre-veterinary medicine at Berkeley before the park incident put on hold her dream of accepting an internship at Jurassic World. Now Zia is one of DPG’s strongest advocates and our resident expert on dinosaur biology. Once the DPG fulfills its goal, she wishes to achieve her dream of mending our giant neighbors.
- Owen Grady: an animal behaviorist and a loner who was once in the US Navy and trained a pack of Velociraptors at Jurassic World. Owen has a unique bond with Blue which is why he is recruited by Claire to help them recover her. His background as a military man and one empathetic with animal life becomes crucial to the DPG's mission when they are betrayed.
- Maisie Lockwood: a young girl who was raised as Sir Benjamin Lockwood's granddaughter. She is in reality a clone of Sir Benjamin's deceased daughter. Maisie's knowledge of Mills' true intentions help Claire and Owen put a stop to the Lockwood Auction and overall support the DPG's mission to save the dinosaurs (literally so when Maisie sets them free).
- Blue: a female Velociraptor and the last of her kind on Isla Nublar. She was raised from birth by Owen Grady and created by Dr. Henry Wu with traits of empathy imbued in her DNA but perfected by Owen's nuturing. The DPG save her life from a critical gunshot wound. Later Blue comes to their aid in helping to defeat the Indoraptor and later on does not attack the DPG when reuniting with them. She, however, takes off rather than joining the humans.
- Sir Benjamin Lockwood: the former business partner of John Hammond and Head of the Lockwood Estate. Sir Benjamin had made plans and brought the DPG on board to help rescue the remaining dinosaurs on Isla Nublar. However, Sir Benjamin was betrayed by Mills who in actuality was bringing the dinosaurs to Lockwood Manor for sale to bidders from around the world. When Sir Benjamin confronted Mills personally, Mills killed Sir Benjamin in order to secure control over his fortune and continue his plans.
- Extinction Now!: a rival organization that believes in leaving the dinosaurs to die due to fears of the harm dinosaurs could cause on the wider world.
- Eli Mills: Initially appearing as an ally to the organization who needs Claire and Owen to find Blue, Mills' men betray the DPG leaving Owen, Claire, and Franklin behind to die on Isla Nublar and taking Zia Rodriguez captive to save Blue's life. Mills planned to sell the dinosaurs at Lockwood Manor instead of giving the dinosaurs sanctuary. Later on, the DPG participated in sabotaging the auction at Lockwood Manor which leads to Mills' downfall and later death at the hands of Rexy.
- Ken Wheatley: A "Great White Hunter" in the employ of Mills who initially worked alongside the DPG on Nublar. He had an antagonistic relationship with Zia and betrayed the group when he captured Blue instead and shot Owen with a sedative and left him (as well as Claire and Franklin) to die on Nublar. Wheatley later captured Claire and Owen in the convoy heading to Lockwood's estate and locked them in the subbasement. He was killed by the Indoraptor after the auction was sabotaged by Owen Grady.
- Gunnar Eversol: An American businessman of the black market who helped Mills sell the dinosaurs at the auction. After the auction was sabotaged by Owen Grady, he was killed by the Indoraptor.
- Indoraptor: The Indoraptor was an extreme carnivorous dinosaur hybrid who stalked and killed the remaining humans inside Lockwood Manor and later stalked Owen, Claire, and Maisie before being defeated by Blue and killed.
- Biosyn(Potential): Biosyn has been InGen's long-standing business rival since even before the first park. Since the fall of the first park was orchestrated by them, it could be possible that they will return to finish their job. The most notable member of this company is Lewis Dodgson.
InGen file leaks
- The shirts worn by Claire and the Dinosaur Protection Group in promotional material were also available to buy in real life from specialty stores such as Hot Topic, FYE, and at Universal Studios' Jurassic Park gift shop. Aside from the standard white T-shirts, they were avaliable in black and could be long sleeved. The Logo also appeared on other merchandise such as baseball caps and stickers amongst others.
- Thematically, the Dinosaur Protection Group could be best compared to the Gatherers group from The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Both organizations were trying to save the dinosaurs from exploitation by an enemy group.
- Both groups also coincidentally feature a female dinsosaur advocate who has red hair - Sarah Harding for the Gatherers and Claire Dearing for the Dinosaur Protection Group.
- Allosaurus, Compsognathus, Nasutoceratops and Parasaurolophus are the only dinosaurs that weren't seen in most of their fun facts or adopt dino on website and are only on a few posters of the DPG, despite how they were encountered in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Battle at Big Rock.
- Suchomimus and Pachycephalosaurus were seen in posters for the DPG but don't appear in any fun facts or in the adopt dino on website.
- Dilophosaurus and Pachyrhinosaurus do not have any posters or fun facts or adopt dino on the website.
- It is known that Styracosaurus, Mamenchisaurus, Euoplocephalus, Coelurus, Metriacanthosaurus, Spinosaurus, Corythosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Edmontosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Deinonychus, Segisaurus, and Lesothosaurus have been subject to cruelty at some time in the past, although it is unknown if they are extinct or not other than the Metriacanthosaurus and Edmontosaurus, which are extinct.
- The DPG have no information of Peloroplites, Hadrosaurus, Nipponosaurus, Hoplitosaurus, Elaphrosaurus, Plesiosaurus, Teratophoneus, Geosternbergia, Troodon, and Nasutoceratops on whether they have been subject to cruelty or not.