This section is taken from the Dinosaur Field Guide.
Giganotosaurus (meaning "giant southern lizard") is currently one of the largest known meat-eating dinosaurs ever. For many years Tyrannosaurus held that record (although bits and pieces of Carcharodontosaurus and Spinosaurus showed that they were as large as any individual T. rex). Then, in 1995, paleontologists Rodolfo Coria and Leonardo Salgado reported the discovery of a new meat-eater bigger than any tyrant lizard. They named the giant dinosaur, Giganotosaurus carolini.
When Giganotosaurus was alive, the most common herbivores found in South America were the titanosaur sauropods. While a single Giganotosaurus was only capable of killing a young titanosaur, it would take many Giganotosaurus' to bring down a giant adult. Originally, there was no evidence that Giganotosaurus hunted in groups, but recent findings from slightly younger rocks shows that they may have lived in packs of 6-12 or more individuals.
The Giganotosaurus is set to appear in Jurassic World: Dominion.
- An artistic render of Giganotosaurus, created by the Natural History Museum, is seen on a wall of one of the stores inside Jurassic World's Main Street.
- Despite being grouped with abelisaurs (Carnotaurus, Majungasaurus, and Rugops) and being called an abelisaur on the website, it is actually classified as a Carcharadontosaurid.
The Giganotosaurus appeared in the game Warpath: Jurassic Park. It was misspelled as Giganotasaurus, and is codenamed as Giga. It has 3 colors: blue, brown, and white red. The Giganotosaurus shares a similar battle style with Carcharodontosaurus and Albertosaurus, and its battle stage is the T. rex paddock.
Giganotosaurus is one of the Carnivores Threes that can be created in Jurassic Park III: Park Builder.
Giganotosaurus can be created in Jurassic Park: Builder. Its DNA sample is rare and can only be acquired by playing Tournament Mode.
Giganotosaurus can be created in Jurassic World: The Game. It is a rare carnivore. Since September 30th, 2015, a fully maxed Giganotosaurus could be mixed with a fully maxed Euoplocephalus to make the hybrid Giganocephalus. Like most large theropods, it uses the same model as Tyrannosaurus rex, which in turn depicts it with two fingers instead of three.
Giganotosaurus appears in Jurassic World Evolution.
Giganotosaurus was on the covers of Jurassic Park: Redemption IV and V. In the cover for Jurassic Park: Redemption IV it was towering over a human female while in the cover for Jurassic Park: Redemption V it was being attacked by a mosasaur and a Velociraptor pack.
It was one of the dinosaurs recreated by Dr. Henry Wu under the orders of Peter Ludlow a.k.a L. Would and was among the dinosaurs that were released by Lewis Dodgson. A Giganotosaurus travels to a nuclear power plant believing its alarm to be Giganotosaur's mate. Tim Murphy tries to distract the giant theropod with a truck, but it tips his vehicle over. However, a pack of Velociraptors soon attack the Giganotosaurus afterward where it is lead into the water and is killed by a mosasaur.
Behind the scenes
- Giganotosaurus was once rumored to be the dinosaur antagonist of Jurassic World, then called by its preliminary name "Jurassic Park IV", before Indominus rex was revealed to be the antagonist. However, it did appear in the film in a sense as its genetic material was used in Indominus rex's creation.
- Giganotosaurus was featured in some concept art for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. However, Colin Trevorrow confirmed there were no plans for it to be added to the final cut.
- Jurassic World Website - Dinosaurs - Indominus Rex (2015, January) Retrieved from http://www.jurassicworld.com/dinosaurs/indominus-rex/
- 2021'S LINE CHECKLIST! - "Large Dinos" Retrieved from http://www.jptoys.com/index.php/2021/01/09/626-2021-s-line-checklist
|Playable Warpath Dinosaurs|
|Acrocanthosaurus • Albertosaurus • Ankylosaurus • Carcharodontosaurus • Cryolophosaurus • Giganotosaurus • Megaraptor • Pachycephalosaurus • Spinosaurus • Stygimoloch • Styracosaurus • Suchomimus • Triceratops • Tyrannosaurus rex|
|Jurassic World: Dominion Dinosaurs|
|Compsognathus • Dimetrodon • Giganotosaurus • Lystrosaurus • Nasutoceratops • Pyroraptor • Stegosaurus • Triceratops • Tyrannosaurus rex • Velociraptor|