Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous is an animated action-adventure series set in the Jurassic Park universe. Created by DreamWorks Animation, the series debuted exclusively on Netflix on September 18th, 2020.
The first season of the series is set during the time-frame of the events of 2015's Jurassic World and the third season is set during the opening scenes of 2018's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. The second season was confirmed during October 2020 and later released on January 22, 2021. The third season was confirmed during March of 2021 and was released on May 21, 2021. Season 4 was announced October 15, 2021 with a scheduled air date of December 3, 2021.
- 1 Premise
- 2 Characters and Cast
- 3 Episodes
- 4 List of Prehistoric Creatures in the Show
- 5 Production
- 6 Marketing
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous follows the adventures of six teenagers who are chosen for a once-in-a-lifetime experience at a state of the art adventure camp on the opposite side of Isla Nublar: Camp Cretaceous.
However, once the events of Jurassic World occur and the dinosaurs get loose, the teens find themselves stranded. Cut off from the outside world, the six have to rely on each other to survive.
Characters and Cast
- Paul-Mikél Williams as Darius Bowman, a camper, gamer, and dinosaur expert who has dreamed of coming to Jurassic World his whole life.
- Jenna Ortega as Brooklynn, a camper and social media personality.
- Ryan Potter as Kenji Kon, a laidback camper and the son of a businessman who invested in condos on Nublar.
- Raini Rodriguez as Sammy Gutierrez, a boisterous friendly camper who claimed her family ranch supplies Jurassic World with their beef, but turned out be a spy sent by a rival genetics company.
- Sean Giambrone as Ben Pincus, a sensitive, easily frightened, bookish camper and the son of a Jurassic World employee.
- Kausar Mohammed as Yasmina Fadoula, an athletic and somewhat shy and introverted camper who always seems annoyed.
- Jameela Jamil as Roxie, a camp counselor who is a somewhat strict but is good natured and a responsible adult.
- Glen Powell as Dave, a camp counselor who is somewhat goofy and easy going.
- Glenn Chun as Dr. Henry Wu, chief geneticist at Jurassic World.
- Keston John as
- Roger Craig Smith as Emergency Announcer.
- Jeff Bergman as Mr. DNA.
- Phil Buckman as Dr. Meriweather.
- Benjamin Florez Jr. as Brandon Bowman, the older brother of Darius and son of Fredrick.
- James Arnold Taylor as Eddie, one of Dr. Wu's assistants.
- Scott Kreamer as a Worker, attempts to warn the kids about the Indominus Rex before being killed by it himself.
- Stephanie Beatriz as Tiff, a big game hunter and poacher.
- Bradley Whitford as Mitch, a big game hunter and poacher.
- Angus Sampson as Hap, Mitch and Tiffany's bodyguard.
- Cherise Boothe as Pilot, finds the campers when she accompanies Henry Wu to the island. she is later killed after a Brachiosaurus causes her to crash her helicopter.
- Dave B. Mitchell as
Six teens invited to attend a state-of-the-art adventure camp on Isla Nublar must band together to survive when the dinosaurs break out of captivity.
|1||After waiting his whole life to see dinosaurs, Darius wins the chance to join five other campers on Isla Nublar for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.||Camp Cretaceous||September 18, 2020|
|2||With the rest of the crew off visiting a genetics lab, Kenji sneaks Darius into the park's top-secret underbelly and straight into danger.||Secrets||September 18, 2020|
|3||The campers hop into their Gyrospheres to help move a dinosaur herd toward fresh grazing lands. But an incoming storm stirs up unexpected trouble.||The Cattle Drive||September 18, 2020|
|4||Darius remembers the promise he made to his dad. Elsewhere on the island, the campers find themselves face-to-face with a newly freed threat.||Things Fall Apart||September 18, 2020|
|5||After a close encounter with the Indominus, the gang seeks shelter in the genetics lab, where a scientist reveals the truth about Dr. Wu.||Happy Birthday, Eddie!||September 18, 2020|
|6||Sammy's secret shocks everyone, but there's no time for anger when an accident unleashes a flock of Pteranodon and forces the crew below ground.||Welcome to Jurassic World||September 18, 2020|
|7||The campers leave the Mosasaurus lagoon and fight their way onto the monorail, where Ben gets a chance to face his fears.||Last Day of Camp||September 18, 2020|
|8||It's a race against time as the campers make their way to the main dock to catch the last ferry leaving the island.||End of the Line||September 18, 2020|
Season 2 was officially announced in October 2020 and was released on January 22, 2021. The season will find the stranded campers struggling to survive on Isla Nublar as the series charges forward beyond the events of the Jurassic World film.
With no hope of rescue for the stranded campers, the arrival of a small group of eco-tourists could spell salvation — but things aren’t what they seem.
|1||Still stranded on the island — and still reeling from the apparent loss of Ben — the campers make a last-ditch attempt at rescue by sending out an SOS.||A Beacon of Hope||January 22, 2021|
|2||Darius and Sammy face a moral dilemma while searching the park for supplies. The campers start building a new treehouse. Brooklynn sees something odd.||The Art of Chill||January 22, 2021|
|3||Brooklynn, Sammy and Yasmina team up to investigate strange noises in the park. Elsewhere, Darius and Kenji go exploring and witness a majestic sight.||The Watering Hole||January 22, 2021|
|4||A bonfire in the distance signals that the campers have company: a pair of posh eco-tourists and their disgruntled security guy. But can they be trusted?||Salvation||January 22, 2021|
|5||The campers reunite with a long-lost friend, who shares an inspiring story — then reveals that Mitch, Tiff and Hap aren't who they seem.||Brave||January 22, 2021|
|6||Darius must make a difficult choice to save Sammy and Yasmina. Meanwhile, the remaining campers are trying to decide if Hap is a friend... or a foe.||Misguided||January 22, 2021|
|7||Brooklynn, Ben, Kenji and Yasmina work to uncover a secret and restore power to the park as Darius leads Mitch and Tiff straight into a T. rex trap.||Step One||January 22, 2021|
|8||A guilty Darius is determined to protect the island's innocent dinos — even if he has to do it all alone. But with luck, maybe he won't have to...||Chaos Theory||January 22, 2021|
Season 3 was officially announced during March of 2021 and was released on May 21, 2021 with 10 episodes rather than eight. The season finds the stranded campers facing a new threat on Isla Nublar, and they finally escape Isla Nublar. The teaser trailer was released on March 11, 2021. The official trailer was released on April 22, 2021, teasing new creatures; Monolophosaurus and Scorpios rex. A clip also confirmed the sudden & unexpected appearance of the Ouranosaurus.
In search of supplies to engineer their own rescue, the determined campers explore new parts of the island — only to confront a frightening new threat.
|1||The campers catch a lift to Lookout Point in search of materials to make a sail, then must quickly find a way back down. Ben worries about leaving Bumpy.||View from the Top||May 21, 2021|
|2||After finding Mitch and Tiff's abandoned yacht, the happy campers celebrate. But the party's over when something big goes bump in the night.||Safe Harbor||May 21, 2021|
|3||Kenji takes the campers to his father's penthouse to gather supplies — but they've soon got company. Sammy reflects on what life must be like back home.||Casa De Kenji||May 21, 2021|
|4||A thrilling chase brings Darius, Kenji and Yaz to the old Jurassic Park Visitors Center. Elsewhere on the island, Brooklynn and Sammy find a secret lab.||Clever Girl||May 21, 2021|
|5||Sammy and Brooklynn rush to warn the others about a sinister new threat while Darius, unaware of the danger, searches for his dad's favorite dinosaur.||Eye of the Storm||May 21, 2021|
|6||As a poisoned camper fights to survive, it's up to Yaz — the fastest among them — to fetch the antidote before it's too late.||The Long Run||May 21, 2021|
|7||It's crunch time for the campers to get to the boat and make their escape... until Ben disappears, deciding he'd rather stay. Can Darius change his mind?||A Shock to the System||May 21, 2021|
|8||With multiple threats running rampant on the island, dinosaur lover Darius must put his feelings aside and make a difficult decision.||Escape from Isla Nublar||May 21, 2021|
|9||The group is forced to switch gears when a familiar face returns to Isla Nublar. Now, getting off the island is no longer the most important thing.||Whatever It Takes||May 21, 2021|
|10||With Brooklynn being held prisoner, the remaining campers hatch a plan to rescue her — and it won't be easy.||Stay on Mission||May 21, 2021|
On October 15th 2021, DreamWorks confirmed that season 4 of the series will take place on another island than Isla Nublar, which is where the previous seasons were set. Which island is being referred to is yet to be announced.
List of Prehistoric Creatures in the Show
- Allosaurus (mentioned)
- Anchiornis (mentioned)
- Apatosaurus (book only)
- Brontosaurus (mentioned)
- Dilophosaurus (book only)
- Indominus rex (deceased)
- Woolly Mammoth (fossils only)
- Scorpios rex (deceased)
- Spinosaurus (image of skeleton seen on computer, toyline showcase)
- Styracosaurus (picture only)
- Triceratops (book only, mentioned)
- Tyrannosaurus rex
- Albertosaurus (toyline packaging only)
- Coelurus (toyline packaging only)
- Mamenchisaurus (Poland showcase)
- Mussaurus (toyline showcase only)
- Plesiosaurus (toyline packaging only)
- Proceratosaurus (toyline packaging only)
- Protoceratops (concept and toyline showcase)
- Sarcosuchus (toyline packaging only)
- Stygimoloch (toyline packaging only)
- Troodon (toyline packaging only)
- Acrocanthosaurus (concept only, cut)
- Cryolophosaurus (concept only, cut)
- Maiasaura (concept only, cut)
- Pachycephalosaurus (concept only, cut)
- Yutyrannus (concept only, cut)
In the 1990's, Steven Spielberg and Universal Studios attempted to create an animated series based on Jurassic Park due to that films unprecedented level of critical and commercial success. Despite genuine interest the series never made it past pre-production. Another animated series which was meant to tie in with the Chaos Effect toy line would later enter development but also was never made.
In 2018, after the critical and commercial successes of Jurassic World and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Universal stated its commitment to making expanded media for the Jurassic World franchise. This included books, the toylines, video games, and rumored to include animated TV series.
In 2019 rumors circulated that Universal Studios and DreamWorks Animation's partnership to adapt animated series based on Universal film franchises would include Jurassic World. That summer, a teaser was released online announcing that Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous would release sometime in 2020. Scott Kreamer and Aaron Hammersley are the showrunners and executive producers. The series also sees Steven Spielberg, Frank Marshall, Colin Trevorrow, and Lane Lueras serving as executive producer; with Zack Stentz serving as a consulting producer.
Production of season 2 began right at the outbreak of COVID-19, but was not interrupted because the entirety of the series was animated and the cast were able to work remotely.
At the San Diego Comic Con 2019, Mattel revealed that several of the Jurassic World toylines would be tie ins with this show. In 2020 aforementioned toys modeled after dinosaurs and characters from the show were released.
In September 2020, fast-food chain McDonald's began including Happy Meal toys based on Camp Cretaceous. Included were booklets as well as four eggs containing toy dinosaurs from the show.
- Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous is the first official canon Jurassic Park TV series. It is also the second animated series and the first mainline series to actually make it past the production stage and make it to airing.
- Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous is not, however, the first Jurassic Park TV series overall. That honor goes to LEGO Jurassic World: Legend of Isla Nublar, a Canadian animated miniseries that aired on Nickelodeon and the Family Channel in Canada.
- Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous is the first animated TV series to be co-produced by Amblin Television since 2007's The Land Before Time TV series.
- Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous is the second DreamWorks Animation TV series based on a Universal Studios film property after Fast & Furious: Spy Racers.
- Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous appears to take inspiration, both stylistically and thematically from films & pop culture from the 1980s, 1990s and other works which were influenced by those periods.
- Camp Cretaceous shares a numerous similarities to films directed by Steven Spielberg such as the original Jurassic Park, Jaws, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Hook as well as the Spielberg produced Super 8.
- Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous is the first canonical Jurassic Park media that takes place concurrently with a film, in this case being Jurassic World. This is demonstrated most as Claire Dearing and Simon Masrani are mentioned repeatedly throughout the series but do not physically appear.
- Mr. DNA retains his traditionally-animated form in the series.
- Apatosaurus has made no appearance in the series (so far) although the animal is featured in the promotional book.
- For the first time in the franchise, Brontosaurus is acknowledged to be a separate genus from Apatosaurus. When Kenji identifies an unseen dinosaur as Brontosaurus, Darius corrects him that the park doesn't have that sauropod, rather than referring to Apatosaurus which the park does have.
- This is first time that Ceratosaurus makes appearance in Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous ever since the cameo in Jurassic Park III on Isla Sorna.
- Pocket Sandwich Theaters originally planned a parody of Jurassic Park named "Camp Cretaceous", but had to rename their parody to Triassic Trek after Netflix acquired the rights to "Camp Cretaceous".
- This is the third film canon entity to refer to the Nublar Tyrannosaurus rex as "Rexy." The first was Jurassic Park: The Game the second is The Evolution of Claire in 2018.
- This series confirms Compsognathus to be venomous in the film canon.
- Main Street is shown to still be in the center of the island like it was in Jurassic World, further contradicting the digital map seen in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
- According to executive producer Scott Kreamer, in his mind, it took 6 to 8 weeks for the campers to build their tree house from the time Yaz began sketching it, making the length of season 2 at least more than a month's time.