Maisie Lockwood is a young girl who lives with Owen Grady and Claire Dearing. She used to live in Lockwood Manor, owned by her late grandfather Sir Benjamin Lockwood, an old business partner of John Hammond.
Maisie Lockwood was born around nine years before the events of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom in 2009. She was brought up and raised at Lockwood Manor in Northern California, the home of her grandfather Sir Benjamin Lockwood. Lockwood's housekeeper Iris was the one who primarily raised Maisie due to Lockwood's advanced age and ailing health. Maisie also grew up with Eli Mills - a businessman entrusted in safeguarding the Lockwood Fortune - as a supervising figure.
Although brought up as Lockwood's granddaughter, Maisie's true origin was that of a genetic clone of "Maisie Lockwood", Sir Benjamin's daughter who died in a car accident in the 1990s. As Sir Benjamin still possessed the original technology and sub-basement labboratory capable of genetic cloning, he in his grief attempted to "bring back his daughter". Maisie would never know this until after Sir Benjamin's death but was remarked upon to be her mother's "mirror image". It also turns out that Maisie's origins were the cause of the break-up between Benjamin and his partner John Hammond, who opposed human cloning.
A fan of dinosaurs, whose skeletons and imagery are very present in the mansion, she at times pretends to be one ambushing Iris.
Maisie Lockwood is introduced at the beignning of the film eavsdropping on Claire Dearing's meeting with Sir Benjamin and Eli Mills. Maisie runs off when Claire spots her and Claire asks Eli about her. Eli reveals to Claire that Maisie is Lockwood's granddaughter and that he had a daughter but perished in a car accident. Thus Maisie and Sir Benjamin are very close (Eli deliberately hiding the truth of Maisie's origin).
Later on, after scaring Iris in Lockwood's Museum Parlor, Maisie is brought to Sir Benjamin's room to talk to him. In their conversation about dinosaurs and Maisie's sense of humor (in it being similar to her mother's), Maisie asks if she looks like her. Iris shows a look of concern but Sir Benjamin simply tells Maisie that she does indeed look like her. Maisie then asks if her mother ever visited Jurassic Park to which Sir Benjamin reveals that she did "a long time ago". He also says that like the Dinosaur Protection Group, Maisie's mother would have gone back to save them all.
Some time after this (likely a day or a few days later) Maisie walks in on Eli Mills speaking to Ken Wheatley over the phone (who was on Isla Nublar). Maisie tried speaking to Mills about the dinosaurs only for Eli to yell angrily at her. Horrified at his burst of anger, Eli quickly told Maisie he was on an important phone call and would meet her at the Museum Parlor to talk to her. Maisie then went there.
Later on, Maisie would eavsdrop on Mills meeting with businessman / auctioneer Gunnar Eversol at the parlor. She hid and observed the two speak about selling the dinosaurs from Nublar rather than take them to a sanctuary as Sir Benjamin intended. Maisie would go warn her grandfather about this later on in the evening only for Sir Benjamin to openly dismiss her warnings. However, Sir Benjamin would later follow up on what Maisie said.
The next day, Maisie enters the secret underground laboratory (having seen the access code to take the elevator) and sees footage of Owen Grady taming Blue and the other Velociraptors when they were younger. Towards the end of the video, Maisie hears Mills talking to Henry Wu and attempts to hide. Once she approaches the Indoraptor cell, the hybrid tries to grab Maisie with his arm, scaring the girl and making Mills discover her. A terrified Maisie asks Mills what that animal is only for Mills to lock her in her bedroom and warning Iris to keep her there so as to not intefere with his plans.
By knocking the key out of the keyhole and pulling it under the door with a rug, Maisie managed to break out of her room, and after going to a balcony, climbed the outside of the house to Lockwood's room. To her sadness, her grandfather was dead. After hiding in a nearby dumbwaiter to avoid Mills, Maisie got all the way down to the lab, where she found Claire Dearing and Owen, who she recognized Owen as the man in the raptor video and Claire as the woman who talked with her grandfather about saving the dinosaurs.
After walking through the underground, they get to Eversol's auction from behind some grates, where they see the Indoraptor being brought in. In response to Claire asking about the beast, Maisie replies that they made it. She pointed Wu out to them. She and Claire watched as Owen and Stiggy, the Stygimoloch, disrupted and ruined the auction, preventing the Indoraptor from being sold.
She is with Owen and Claire when two of Mills men arrived, pointing their guns at them. Mills, angered over them ruining his plans, demands that Maisie comes with him, but they refuse. Mills reveals that Maisie is actually a clone herself because Benjamin Lockwood wanted his daughter back, which horrifies Maisie. The confrontation is interrupted when the mercenaries are attacked and killed by the Indoraptor. They proceed to run from the Indoraptor in the great hall where Maisie used to play, with Maisie eventually hiding in her bed, as the hybrid's arms reached out to her and its jaws came closer. Owen enters the room and starts shooting the Indoraptor but the bullets are ineffective. However, Blue arrives at the room and confronts the Indoraptor while Owen and Maisie escape.
Both escape to the roof of the mansion, with the Indoraptor approaching them on all fours. Claire then distracted it from them and tries to get to fall off the glass roof as Blue finally kills the Indoraptor. As the incident ends, Maisie releases all of the dinosaurs, which indirectly led to the T. rex of Isla Nublar and a Carnotaurus devouring Mills and destroying the DNA sample of the Indominus rex.
Maisie is then taken along with Owen, Claire, Zia, and Franklin to the front door where they reunite with Blue. She witnesses Owen and Blue embrace only for Blue to run off into the wilderness. She runs up to Owen and looks on out into the brand new world. Later on, Maisie is with Owen and Claire in a station wagon driving down the California coast and watches as several pteranodon fly across the water.
Isabella Sermon will reprise her role as Maisie in Jurassic World: Dominion.
Sir Benjamin Lockwood is the "grandfather" of Maisie, in reality the father of the original Maisie Lockwood, cloning her and raising her as his granddaughter. Raised somewhat isolated, Maisie and Sir Benjamin are thus very close. He cares deeply for Maisie as he did his original daughter, going to means which made Hammond declare his actions "an unholy thing".
Iris as the housekeeper of the Lockwood Estate raised Maisie and her "Mother" before her. She is somewhat stern with Maisie and tries to implore her to be a proper young girl (even showing annoyance at Maisie pronouncing words in general American English rather than "Queen's English"). Iris is also quite protective of Maisie but did not argue with Eli Mills when ordered to leave Lockwood Manor and Maisie behind.
Eli Mills likely has known Maisie all of her life due to being hired straight out of college by Sir Benjamin. Before the major events of Fallen Kingdom, it appears Mills and Maisie got along well enough. When Mills burst out in anger at Maisie for intruding on his phone call, Mills appeared to be genuinely remorseful for scaring her. When Maisie discovered his secret operation, she saw the different side of Mills and tried to warn her grandfather about it. Then when he saw her sneaking around the sub-basement and locked her in her room, she saw the cruel side of Mills and became afraid of him. Later in the movie after the auction is taken down, Mills angrily tries to take back Maisie from Owen and Claire. While this could have been; due to controlling the Lockwood Fortune, Eli sadistically and openly says that he knows what Maisie "actually is". Thus implying him knowing the truth about her meant he was better equipped for caring for her. However, Eli did not hesitate to runaway from Maisie after the Indoraptor suddenly attacked his guards.
While sneaking around, investigating the secret lab below the Lockwood Manor, Maisie sees the video of Owen Grady researching the four raptors (Blue, Charlie, Delta and Echo) she saw his compassion through the footages. Later, she met up with Owen and Claire back under the manor. While scared of them at first, Maisie recognized Owen, talked about seeing his footage and puts her trust in him. She develops an attachment to Owen as he and Claire protected her from the Indoraptor and Mills mercenaries. Even when Owen learned the truth that she is a clone of Lockwood's late daughter, he, along with Claire, accepted Maisie as a person regardless of her origins.
Earlier, Maisie witnessed Claire Dearing speaking to her grandfather about saving the dinosaurs from the volcanic eruption in Isla Nublar. Days later, she met up with Claire and Owen under the manor. While scared of them at first, Maisie realized that Claire was the woman she saw days ago and knew that she can be trusted. The two quickly become attached, with Claire and Owen protecting Maisie from Mills mercenaries and the Indoraptor. Even when Claire learned that she is the clone of Lockwood's late daughter, she, along with Owen, accepted Maisie as a person regardless of her origins.
Although she has no actual relationship with her, Maisie had learned that Blue is a completely different kind of Velociraptor that would never attack or kill any person, and is nothing compared to those who came before her. In the lab of Lockwood Manor, she watches one of Owen's 2013 baby raptor training videos on Blue and Delta, and understands Blue's connective bond with Owen, causing her to have genuine respect for her. It's possible that Owen will show her everything she needs to know about her and how to build a relationship with her when they see her again.
Behind the Scenes
- Maisie Lockwood was portrayed by English child actress Isabella Sermon. Fallen Kingdom was Sermon's first major film role and first major starring role. The first hints at the character of Maisie were with the early casting calls in 2016 which described needing "a nine to ten year old girl" who could film dramatic scenes. Sermon was also likely chosen due to Maisie's heritage being English (in spite of being born in the United States).
- It was rumored and believed the character would be named "Lucy". Eventually Isabella Sermon was revealed to have gotten the part. The first promotional image for Fallen Kingdom in 2017 featured an image of Sermon as Maisie standing in Lockwood's Museum. (This being a quick shot of Maisie standing in the elevator). Sermon's scenes were filmed in the U.K. on sets at Pinewood Studios and entirely took place at Lockwood Manor.
- Although no major news outlet announced it, Sermon was always intended to return in Jurassic World: Dominion. Definitive proof of her return was first shown via Colin Trevorrow's twitter and instagram where he posted photos of Sermon on set in Canada.
- Maisie is the first human character in the franchise who is a clone.
- According to Colin Trevorrow, Maisie was born 9 years before the events of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. This would make her year of birth 2009.
- It was revealed by writer and producer Colin Trevorrow that Maisie Lockwood's mother died years before Maisie was cloned. This is because John Hammond canonically passed away in 1998 and dialogue implies Hammond and Lockwood's falling out was due to Lockwood's attempt at cloning his daughter. Thus, Maisie was the last in a series of attempts that actually came to fruition in 2009.
- Following Sir Benjamin's unfortunate death at the hands of Eli Mills; Maisie has likely inherited his estate and money; since the world believes that she is his granddaughter, unaware that she is actually a clone of his late daughter.
- It has been debated that Maisie actually saved the world by freeing the dinosaurs which leads to the T. rex of Isla Nublar eating Eli Mills and destroying the I. rex bone, because if she didn't, Mills would have escaped with the bone and create more hybrid dinosaurs; which are more dangerous than the current dinosaurs.
- There's a theory that Maisie may be part dinosaur, since she was cloned and due to some of her mannerisms. However, due to Colin Trevorrow's confirmation that human and dinosaur DNA will not be mixed (and has not been in the past) this theory is debunked.
- Although not stated, writer Colin Trevorrow confirmed that Owen and Claire adopt Maisie after the ordeal in the Lockwood Manor.
- The idea for the character was that Maisie Lockwood will be named Lucy Lockwood but was discarded during the pre-production.
- In one of Maisie Lockwood's childhood photos, she is seen wearing a pink dress mid-twirl, meaning she may have been a ballerina, though this is not confirmed.
- Maisie is very similar to the Pokémon character Amber.
- They are both cloned by their fathers who lost their original daughters from a car accident.
- Maisie is the only child character so far to never set foot on Isla Sorna or Isla Nublar.
|Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Characters|
|Owen Grady • Claire Dearing • Maisie Lockwood • Eli Mills • Benjamin Lockwood • Franklin Webb • Zia Rodriguez • Ken Wheatley • Gunnar Eversol • Henry Wu • Iris Carroll • Ian Malcolm • Sherwood • Blue • Rexy • Stiggy|
|Jurassic World: Dominion Characters|
|Owen Grady • Claire Dearing • Alan Grant • Ellie Sattler • Ian Malcolm • Henry Wu • Zia Rodriguez • Maisie Lockwood • Franklin Webb • Barry Sembène • Lewis Dodgson • Kayla • Rexy|