- "The lights around it go dark, and a puff of smoke rises from the base. Above in the cylinder, blueish light surrounds a dark mass. Thornlike spikes protrude along one side. The blueish light dims.""
Scorpios rex (E750) was a hybrid dinosaur frozen and held captive in InGen’s secret tunnels until it escaped. It is also the central antagonist of Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous Season 3. There are two known individuals: the first one created by Henry Wu, with the second one being asexually reproduced by the original.
The Scorpios rex is depicted as a medium-sized theropod, being smaller than Indominus rex and slightly larger than the Indoraptor and bigger than the Velociraptor. Both individuals were adorned with charcoal black scales. Its features are heavily deformed and grotesque, which Simon Masrani determined made it unfit for display. These traits included a brachycephalic muzzle, red eyes with slit pupils set high on its skull, a prominent overbite and jagged, uneven teeth. It has venomous spines on its elbows, tail and neck due to its scorpionfish DNA, which can detach and embed in an opponent's flesh in a manner similar to that of a porcupine.
Much like Henry Wu's other hybrids, it has opposable thumbs and grasping talons, which enable it to climb and ambush prey from above. Its semi-prehensile tail also aids it in climbing. Unlike the other two, it has infrared vision which allows it to see the heat signature of its prey. The Scorpios rex also had a pair of short spurs growing out of the back of its heels.
The hybrid had the ability to reproduce asexually due to frog DNA. As a result, the single S. rex managed to give birth to another one of its species. Paired with fact that the Scorpios rex also had accelerated growth, the population of the deadly creature would've increased rapidly if left unchecked.
- "The Scorpios rex's mind has turned out to be as fragmented and unpredictable as its body"
- —Henry Wu(src)
The Scorpios rex appears to suffer from neurological and respiratory ailments; its behavior is calm and placid one minute, before switching to hyper-aggressive and unpredictable the next, and Kenji likened its labored breathing to that of a pug. In spite of these ailments, it is an extremely deadly hybrid, shown to outrun a Gallimimus, effortlessly dispatch a Ceratosaurus and replicate itself via parthenogenesis. The Scorpios Rex was shown to be mindlessly violent and apparently ruthless like the Indominus rex, since it mainly killed its victims rather than eat them, even leaving some of its victims' corpses around the island in a grotesque view, one in particular being a Gallimimus attached to a tree with the Scorpios' poisonous quill still intact.
It is also easily distracted by noise and fire, the latter of which fascinates it. Its highly aggressive nature also cause it to attack its own offspring, as demonstrated when both individuals decide to fight each other to the death.
Dr. Henry Wu, under the acknowledgement of Simon Masrani, attempted to create a hybrid dinosaur. The Scorpios rex was the first successful hybrid dinosaur to be created, under request of Eli Mills. There may have been many attempts to create the Scorpios rex, as the notes that Brooklynn holds in "The Watering Hole" had incrementing numbers on each page: 1309, 1310, 1311 and, much later in notes, E750. Pages 1309 and 1310 show combinations of the letters used in DNA sequences but are not grouped as DNA sequences. It was the first genetic hybrid dinosaur created by Dr. Wu, preceding the Indominus rex and Indoraptor. Despite many setbacks and Masrani claiming the dinosaur was too grotesque to be put on display, Wu insisted on keeping the hybrid. However, one day, after barely surviving an attack from the hybrid, Wu eventually came to realize that with the Scorpios' mindless aggressiveness, it was far too dangerous to be set loose, let alone placed as a park attraction for the public. With Masrani and Mills deeming the creature to be too unstable, Wu shut down the project and kept the Scorpios in a cryogenic sleep, intending to never release it. This secret was heavily guarded, so very few people actually knew of the hybrid's existence.
When Brooklynn breaks into Henry Wu's lab and searches through his computer, she finds a folder labeled "E750 Clinical Trial Results".
Two days later, Eddie indirectly references the Scorpios rex when he was telling the kids that Wu was creating monsters that nobody knew about
While investigating an electrical circuit, Kenji Kon was annoyed by a flashing button, which he proceeded to click a until it short-circuited the creature's containment tube, causing the cryogenic chamber to heat up and crack open, also causing the light to turn off.
A Compsognathus ripped through a cable which contributed to keeping the Scorpios rex frozen, allowing the hybrid to break free and roam the island.
At some point after it was freed, the Scorpios rex asexually reproduced at least once, the baby reaching maturity in the wild. As a result of the Scorpios' rampage, the campers notice that the Compsognathus are avoiding their camp and other dinosaurs are acting uncharacteristically, moving to areas they normally would not go.
A Scorpios finds, ambushes, and successfully kills a Ceratosaurus and then carries it away.
Later that day, one of the Scorpios attacks and kills a pair of Ouranosaurus.
The next day as it's moving through the jungle, a Scorpios suddenly notices it is being followed by a drone, which the dinosaur promptly destroys.
A day later, one of the Scorpios rexes hunts down a Gallimimus and stores in a tree, where Darius and several other Gallimimuses find its. Later that day, a Scorpios causes a stampede of dinosaurs, killing a Brachiosaurus during the attack, which unfortunately can't flee fast enough to escape the hybrid.
Having learned of the Scorpios rex's existence, the campers create a barricade and an electrified fence around their camp in case of an attack. As night fell and a storm moved onto the island, one of the hybrids follows a herd of Parasaurolophus to the kids camp, killing many of them before being attracted to the camp by the electricity sparking in the rain. With its interest piqued it tests the fence only to find it gets shocked, when this startles the campers, the Scorpios roars to flush them, then jumps over the fence and climbs a tree to get sneak up on them. The dinosaur ambushes the group, hitting Sammy with its venomous quills and cornering many of the campers until lightning strikes a nearby tree, setting it aflame, which mesmerizes the hybrid until the fires dies out. Just before the Scorpios can continue its attack, noise from other dinosaurs grabs its attention and causes it to chase off after them.
With Sammy poisoned, Yasmina races across the island to find the antivenom, eventually encountering the same Scorpios again feeding on another Parasaurolophus. The dinosaur quickly takes interest in her and roars, which causes her to drop the antidote. Yaz slowly bends over to pick it up in order to not set off the hybrid, and then sprints off with the Scorpios in pursuit. Yaz is chased by the Scorpios rex until she comes to a raging river, which she jumps over but sprains her ankle in the process. The Scorpios easily does the same and easily corner her, but is distracted by Ben and Darius using gasoline to destroy the Gondola Lift in a huge explosion, which lures the hybrid towards it.
Later that night, one of the Scorpios rex attacks a herd of bioluminescent Parasaurolophus lux. It also tries attacking Bumpy, but the herd of Ankylosaurus defends her and drives it off, as their armor is too thick for the hybrid's quills to pierce. The next day, Darius and Ben encounter both Scorpios, which begin circling the pair.
As the Scorpios circle Darius and Ben, they suddenly attack each other while the boys hide in a limo taken from Kenji Kon's penthouse. The car is knocked about as the hybrids fight, but eventually they both leave the scene. With the danger gone, Darius and Ben reunite with the rest of the group and begin planning out a way to kill the hybrids to halt the damage they cause to the island. To that end, Darius finds a tranquilizer gun in the remains of the old Jurassic Park Visitor Center, but are attacked by one of the Scorpios. Darius tries to shoot it and misses, with the resulting attack catching the attention of a Velociraptor Blue and that of the second Scorpios rex. The three dinosaurs enter a three-way battle that ends up destroying the metal scaffolding supporting the building's roof and causing it to collapse. The campers and Blue notice the collapsing building and escape, but both Scorpios rex fail to notice in their battle and are crushed by the collapsing ceiling.
That night, Dr. Wu returns to collect the his research and the DNA of the Indominus rex for Eli Mills to create the Indoraptor. Returning to the lab the hybrid was stored in, Wu realizes the Scorpios rex escaped and urges his mercenary escort to hurry their mission.
After kidnapping the camper Brooklynn, she informs Wu of the creature's ability to self-reproduce and that she and her friends managed to kill both creatures, both shocking and morally concerning Wu. The next morning, the campers destroy Dr. Wu's laptop containing his research while rescuing Brooklyn, making any hope of recreating the Scorpios rex is lost, rendering it extinct.
- Against common belief, the Scorpios rex is not named after the Skorpiovenator or any kind of scorpion at all. Its quills and name come from the scorpionfish.
- Dr. Wu confirmed the Scorpios rex was chronologically the "world's first hybrid dinosaur", predating the Indominus rex. This disproves the popular fan theory that the Spinosaurus from Jurassic Park III was a hybrid. The show's executive producer, Scott Kreamer, has confirmed that the Scorpios was Wu's first attempt at hybridizing dinosaurs.
- The way the Scorpios rex stashes and hunts its prey in trees is similar to how leopards cache their kills and ambush prey on the ground from the trees.
- The existence of the Scorpios rex is very similar to the Troodons featured in Jurassic Park: The Game. Both are abnormal creatures that were ordered to be euthanized by the park owner but their scientists disagreed and kept them hidden which later resulted in them wreaking havoc in the island.
- The Scorpios rex's design and some of its poses are reminiscent to the human-dinosaur hybrids that were going to be in Jurassic Park IV, but the idea was scrapped.
- The Scorpios rex is the first hybrid dinosaur shown to reproduce and also the first ever dinosaur to be shown to reproduce asexually.
- Many of the Scorpios rex's sounds are slightly modified versions of that of the Indominus rex.
- The Scorpios rex is the only hybrid dinosaur in the franchise who isn’t known to have killed a human, although it has killed the most dinosaurs.
- Multiple sources (such as the novels and executive producers) confirmed that the Scorpios rex is spelled with an "o" and not a "u", because Scorpios is Latin for "scorpion" (although Scorpius is an alternative of the same word in the same language). Regardless, it's officially Scorpios rex, not Scorpius rex.
- To add to the confusion, it was initially spelled Scorpius in Jurassic World: Alive before eventually being corrected in an update. In the mobile game, it also appears to be bigger than its portrayal in Camp Cretaceous.
- it made a kill on screen but it was just the beginning of the kill
- it is the first dinosaur to have a gen 3 in Jurassic world alive
Promotional Images and Behind the Scenes
Notes and references
- Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous: Clever Girl
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Jurassic World Alive | Update 2.12
|Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous Dinosaurs|
|Ankylosaurus • Baryonyx • Brachiosaurus • Carnotaurus • Ceratosaurus • Compsognathus • Dilophosaurus • Dimorphodon • Gallimimus • Indominus rex • Kentrosaurus • Monolophosaurus • Mosasaurus • Ouranosaurus • Parasaurolophus • Parasaurolophus lux • Pteranodon • Scorpios rex • Sinoceratops • Sino-Spino • Smilodon • Spinosaurus • Stegosaurus • Tyrannosaurus rex • Velociraptor|