- "The key to a happy life is to accept you are never actually in control."
- —Simon Masrani(src)
When his father died in 1992, the possession was passed down to Simon. He expanded Mascom's services beyond just satellite television and into weather and telecommunications. Though what put Masrani Global Corporation into recognition was the foundation of Masrani Oil (now Masrani Energy) in Abu Dhabi in 1996, which despite being the youngest oil company in the world it generated the third largest income for any company from 1997-2004.
Simon Masrani began talks to acquire InGen in 1997 after hearing of the creation of a hybrid plant named Karacosis wutansis made by Dr. Henry Wu and his team of geneticists. InGen was in a poor financial state from the failed attempts of creating a park with living dinosaurs, one on Isla Nublar that spiraled out of control after their computer programmer Dennis Nedry disabled their park's security system by using a virus known as Whte rbt.obj and when they tried to create one on San Diego, Californa which resulted in a male Tyrannosaurus rex causing havoc throughout the city after he broke out of his confinement. But the final blow to the bioengineering company was when their founder and CEO John Hammond passed away.
In 1998, Masrani Global successfully acquired InGen. Simon Masrani decided to use the company he had acquired to fulfill John Hammond's dream of a functioning dinosaur park open to the public. After discussing his idea with high-ranking members of his company and with Dr. Henry Wu from InGen he put his plan into motion. The next year, his company gained limited access to Isla Sorna and Isla Nublar, which allowed for the construction of his park to begin. He founded Timack Constuction in 2002 to help subsidiary Axis Boulder Engineering in planning, preparing, and activating construction of the park that was to be called Jurassic World. Construction lasted till 2004 with a total of $1.2 billion spent on concrete and building materials.
During Jurassic World's construction, Simon appointed Vic Hoskins to reinvent the InGen Security Division. Vic was chosen because of how professional he and his team handled an operation in 2001 involving three Pteranodons from Isla Sorna roaming Canada after they were accidentally freed near the end of an incident that occurred the previous year. InGen Security also defended the construction workers on Isla Nublar from its wildlife and they currently protect Jurassic World ever since its opening.
Jurassic World officially opened in 2005 and had 98,120 in its first month of operation, proving itself to have been a highly successful venture.
In 2011, his dinosaur park's success began to dwindle, raising concern in investors. After going to a board meeting in April 2012, Simon gave Henry Wu authorization to create a new species to satisfy investors. The project was kept secret for over four years with the development of the hybrid starting in 2012 after he had sent the message to Dr. Wu. While spending the 2015 new year in Shangai, China, he revealed Indominus rex on his personal blog five months before her enclosure was open to the public. The announcement led to a soar in online booking for Jurassic World. Simon boosted funding for InGen Security in January of 2015, six months before she was open to the public.
Simon visited his dinosaur theme park Jurassic World weeks before the opening of the Indominus rex Paddock. While there he told Senior Assets Manger Claire Dearing to offer Velociraptor trainer Owen Grady a job to check for any security flaws in the I. rex's paddock.
When the Indominus rex escaped, he, Lowery, and Vivian were among the InGen personnel watching from inside the park's control room. He ordered Lowery to close the door to the Indominus rex's enclosure and wound up operating the door controls himself when Lowery refused, due to Owen still being in the pen. However, the door failed to close in time and the Indominus rex managed to free itself.
Masrani later prevented Vivian from putting out a park-wide alert regarding the Indominus rex's escape, believing the Asset Containment Unit could recapture the dinosaur without causing a panic. He would soon be proven wrong when the Indominus rex killed the teams led by Katashi Hamada and Austin after first clawing out its tracker to throw them off. Masrani angrily confronted Dr. Henry Wu over the traits the animal had and, upon learning of the many modifications that were added without his consent, informed him that his work had committed crimes against nature and that it would be seized by the company's board of directors.In an attempt to finally stop the dinosaur, Masrani boarded JW001 with an ACU trooper and gunner and pursued it through the park. However, the Indominus rex escaped into the Jurassic World Aviary and caused Pteranodons to leave the enclosure. The Pteranodons promptly attacked the helicopter, killing the co-pilot and gunner and severely damaging the helicopter. Masrani attempted to regain control, but the helicopter was too badly damaged and crashed through the Aviary before smashing into the ground. Masrani was killed in the ensuing explosion.
Although Masrani proved to be a shrewd and intelligent businessman, at heart he was a kind, caring, and scrupulous man. Like John Hammond before him, Masrani was less concerned over Jurassic World's profits, and more towards ensuring its guests were enjoying themselves. He enjoyed life and encouraged others to do so as well, as seen when he suggested Claire Dearing take some time off to relieve herself of stress. He also appeared to enjoy cheering others up in hard situations, like when he asked the troopers on his helicopter whether their military generals flew into battle with them like he was doing.
Despite his position, he had a tendency to indulge in childish flights of fantasy, such as pursuing a helicopter pilot's license, and volunteering to pilot a helicopter-based assault on the escaped Indominus rex despite having no military training. This overly-innocent view of the world was what ultimately allowed the development of the Indominus rex in the first place, unaware of the danger its creation would pose to the park guests, as well as his own demise in trying to atone for the mess his ignorance had caused.
Masrani was very well liked by his employees, as shown by their distraught reactions when he was killed.
Simon provides the player missions in Jurassic World: The Game.
His role is the same as the movie he appears in, only his helicopter is attacked by Dimorphodons rather than Pteranodons and that he and the InGen Security troopers he was with survive the crash unscathed.
In the Jurassic World hub, he can be found in the Jurassic World Aviary stuck in the wreckage of his air vehicle. The player can free him by pulling a hover switch by using Pteranodon, receiving a gold brick for freeing him. He also becomes purchasable for 150,000 studs.
Simon Masrani is found near the wreckage of JW001 on a floating island in the Jurassic World dimension. He provides the mission "Survival of the Richest" in which the player(s) must defeat 15 Velociraptors.
On May 19, 2016, the official Facebook page of the game revealed an in-universe official press dated May 17, 1998 that revealed that Simon's company Masrani Global had bought InGen thus acquiring Jurassic Park and featured a quote of him regarding the acquisition.
Behind the scenes
- Before Simon Masrani's name was revealed, his name was rumoured or rumored to have been Patel.
- At least one draft of the script gives his name as Mr. Sourian.
- Many people believed Simon Masrani would be similar to the novel version John Hammond, who cared for Jurassic Park only. However, Simon Masrani cared about the dinosaurs and visitors, willingly going out to hunt the Indominus rex himself. He was also unwilling to mess with nature, ordering that Dr. Wu's experiments be ceased immediately.
- In Jurassic World, Simon wore a ring made out of amber that contained an insect in it, similar to how John Hammond carried a cane with a mosquito in place of a curved handle.
- Simon shares the same year of birth as his actor Irrfan Khan.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 www.masraniglobal.com - About Retrieved from http://www.masraniglobal.com/about/index.html
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 www.masraniglobal.com - InGen Technologies Retrieved from http://www.masraniglobal.com/about/divisions/ingen/index.html
- ↑ Jurassic Park
- ↑ The Lost World: Jurassic Park
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 www.masraniglobal.com - Jurassic World Retrieved from http://www.masraniglobal.com/about/divisions/jurassicworld/index.html
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 www.masraniglobal.com - InGen Security Retrieved from http://www.masraniglobal.com/about/divisions/ingen/security/index.html
- ↑ Masrani Fiscal Year 2013 Report
- ↑ NEW OPPORTUNITY
- ↑ The January 2015 post of Masrani CEO's Blog mentions that Indominus rex was developed over the course of three years.
- ↑ Masrani CEO's Blog
- ↑ Masrani Fiscal Year 2014 Report
- ↑ Masrani News
- ↑ Masrani CEO's Blog, April 2015
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Jurassic World
- ↑ Meet new characters in leaked Jurassic World script pages (February 27, 2014) Retrieved from http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/02/27/meet-new-characters-in-leaked-jurassic-world-script-pages-1257420?lt_source=external,manual