Whatever It Takes is the nineth episode of the third season in the Netflix series, Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous. The episode was released on May 21, 2021.
The group is forced to switch gears when a familiar face returns to Isla Nublar. Now, getting off the island is no longer the most important thing.
Opening up where the last episode left off, a voice from a helicopter yells at the campers to return to dock, to which Kenji Kon eagerly obliges. The rest of the group is skeptical however, noting the unmarked helicopter and large weapons, but Kenju and the raging storm convince them to work with the strangers. As they return to the dock, and approach the helicopters, the mercenaries inside are surprised to find kids on the island, and allow the campers to begin boarding the helicopter until Rexy the T. rex arrives, causing the pilot to retreat with Ben, Kenji, and Sammy and abandon Darius, Yaz, Brooklynn, and her coworker Hansen. The Tyrannosaurus promptly eats Hansen and chases the kids, until she after hearing a mercenary from the park's Main Street and moves towards him. The T. rex chases the man, who supposedly escapes by hopping on the ladder of a helicopter over the park's lagoon, only to be eaten alive by the Mosasaurus all of which are witnesses by Darius, Brooklynn and Yasmina. As they contemplate their situation, the group notices another helicopter and chase after it thinking it's the one that took Kenji, Sammy, and Ben. Once the helicopter lands, more mercenaries and Dr. Wu climb out and discuss their plans to retrieve his private laptop from one of his genetics labs. Overhearing the plan, Darius, Yaz, and Brooklynn agree to steal it first for the possibility of having Dr. Wu incarcerated for his research and to stop him creating more hybrid dinosaurs. The campers manage to beat Wu to the labs, but find the entrance blocked and decide to use a ventilation system Brooklyn and Yaz had discovered months earlier to get in while the mercenaries cleared the entrance manually. Traveling through the lab's vents, the three campers manage to take the laptop just as the mercenaries and Wu had entered the lab. One of the mercenaries, Hawkes, discovers the Scorpios rex had escaped its confinements, forcing the group to hasten their work. Wu grows angry at not being able to find the laptop and begins rambling about perfecting the hybrids, but is convinced to check the other labs for it. However, as the campers crawl out of the vents, Hawkes hears them and grabs Brooklynn before she can escape, and as the other mercenaries race towards the campers Brooklynn hands the laptop over to Darius and has the others run away without her.
Meanwhile, the Pilot is still trying and failing to contact the other mission teams, whilst Ben, Kenji, and Sammy attempt to get her to go back. As this is happening, a flock of Pteranodon appear, attracted to the helicopter's lights. Ben yells at the pilot to turn off the helicopter's lights, to which she initially refuses but eventually gives in, causing the Pteranodon to lose interest. Impressed, the pilot asks how long the group were on the island and reveals the park had fallen six months beforehand. This distraction causes the pilot to fly to low, nearly colliding the helicopter into a Brachiosaurus before swerving it into a tree. The campers awaken and find the helicopter stuck in a tree and the pilot gone. As their movement causes the helicopter to break loose from the canopy, the campers grab a vine and jump out of the helicopter as it falls to the forest floor and explodes.
Characters and Cast
- Paul-Mikél Williams as Darius Bowman, a camper and dinosaur expert
- Sean Giambrone as Ben Pincus, a sensitive and bookish camper
- Kausar Mohammed as Yasmina Fadoula, an athletic camper
- Jenna Ortega as Brooklynn, a camper and social media personality
- Ryan Potter as Kenji Kon, a wealthy camper
- Raini Rodriguez as Sammy Gutierrez, a boisterous and friendly camper
- Glenn Chun as Dr. Henry Wu, chief geneticist at Jurassic World
- Dave Mitchell as Hawkes, a mercenary that works with Wu and under Eli Mills
- It is revealed that the campers didn't notice they were stuck on the island for 6 months after the evacuation of the Jurassic World Incident.
- Darius, Brooklynn, and Yasmina witness the first scene of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
- A scene from Fallen Kingdom shows Jack left on the ground and their helicopter lets down a rope ladder away from the T. rex.
- The scene where the Pteranodons attack the helicopter Kenji, Sammy and Ben are on during the storm is influenced by one of the original endings to The Lost World: Jurassic Park.
- Eli Mills is mentioned in this episode.