- "Don't just stand there!"
- —Zara to Zach and Gray before being carried away to her death by an oncoming Pteranodon(src)
Zara Young was the personal assistant of Claire Dearing.
Hailing from the United Kingdom, Zara began working at Jurassic World sometime in 2010 where she became the personal assistant for Claire Dearing, the Senior Assets Manager for the park. At some point, she became engaged to a man named Alec.
Zara was assigned to look after Claire's nephews, Zach and Gray, while they were visiting Jurassic World, picking them up as soon as they arrived on the island, though she was not very enthusiastic about it. She accompanied the boys when they entered the Innovation Center and was later with them during their tour of the park. While they were at the Gentle Giants Petting Zoo, Zara is seen being busy on her phone, going over her wedding details. The Mitchell brothers took advantage of this and ditched her to explore the park on their own. Given afterward, the Indominus rex broke free from her pen and had put the park into an emergency situation. Claire immediately called Zara, only for the distressed assistant to say that the boys "had ran away". Eventually she re-encountered the boys in Main Street, shortly before the Jurassic World Aviary's inhabitants invaded the area and attacked some of the guests.
During the attack, Zara was snatched off guard and taken into the air by a Pteranodon. Tumbling out of the pterosaur's grip, she was grabbed by another before falling into the Jurassic World Lagoon. As one of the Pteranodons tried to retrieve her, nearly drowning her in the process, the Mosasaurus emerged from the water and clamped her mighty jaws shut on the pterosaur, killing Zara as well.
Claire seemed to have trusted Zara enough to entrust her with looking after her nephews.
Zach and Gray Mitchell
Zara was assigned to look after the boys during their visit. However they left her and nearly got killed by the Indominus rex. Despite this, she was still very worried for them and tells them to not just stand there when the Pteranodons arrives.
Zara is a young woman in her 20s. She has long dark brown hair, fair skin, and green eyes. She wears a light gray shirt over a spotted white blouse. She also wears black skinny jeans, brown block heels, and carries a light brown handbag with her.
Behind the scenes
- Zara earns the rather dubious distinction of being the first major on-screen death of a female human character in the Jurassic Park series. Another woman, Laura Sorkin from Jurassic Park: The Game, has died in a similar fashion by being eaten by a Tylosaurus a relative of Mosasaurus.
- Zara's death is considered by many to be one of the most gruesome deaths in the series, due to its torturous nature and lengthiness while it is also possible that her death was rather short and painless if she suffocated from lack of oxygen and rapidly fainted because of higher nitrogen.
- Zara Young's death resembles Donald Gennaro's from the original. Both were hard working employees of InGen (one being a secretary and the other being a lawyer) who wanted to focus mainly on business. Both were sent with two children in the park (Zach & Gray and Lex & Tim respectively). When the dinosaurs were broken free, both were killed/devoured by a large carnivorous while surrounded by water (The aquarium and the rain).
- In a leaked audition side, Zara's lines were spoken by an unnamed concierge at the Hilton Isla Nublar Resort and Spa.
- Storyboards show that elements of her death scene were intended to go to different characters. As depicted in the storyboards, a park ranger is grabbed by a Pteranodon in front of Zach and Gray and a member of a news crew was eaten by the Mosasaurus after a group of Pteranodons cause his helicopter to crash into its lagoon.
- Interestingly/oddly, after Zara is killed no one mentions her again in the film.
- Zara is the only major character involved in the incident to not have encountered the Indominus rex.
- Zara can be seen at the start of the film reading God Creates Dinosaurs, a book written by Dr. Ian Malcolm, a major character in the first and second films.
- Interviews with the movie cast and crew reveal Katie McGrath, Zara's actress, performed her own stunts in the film. McGrath was strapped to a harness which pulled her high into the air, representing the Pteranodon, and dipped her into a pool representing the Jurassic World Lagoon over and over.
- Zara speaks with a posh English accent in the film. This was because her actress, McGrath was from the Republic of Ireland.
- Zara's last name is never revealed in the films, though the video games Lego Jurassic World, Jurassic World: The Game, and Jurassic World: Evolution give it as Young. In the book, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Survival Guide, it is given as Shealy, though Jack Ewins has confirmed the book is not part of the film canon.
- Jurassic World
- Masrani News, May 2015
- Meet new characters in leaked Jurassic World script pages (February 27, 2014) Retrieved from http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/02/27/meet-new-characters-in-leaked-jurassic-world-script-pages-1257420?lt_source=external,manual
- Chris Pugh - Twitter
- Creating the Dinosaurs of Jurassic World. Youtube
|Jurassic World Characters|
|Owen Grady • Claire Dearing • Zach Mitchell • Gray Mitchell • Vic Hoskins • Barry Sembène • Henry Wu • Simon Masrani • Lowery Cruthers • Vivian Krill • Zara Young • Karen Mitchell • Scott Mitchell • Katashi Hamada • Hal Osterly • Jim Drucker • Erica Brand • Nicholas Letting • Nick Kilgore • Sarah • Austin • Craig • Lee • Meyers • Spears • Miller • Cooper • Blue • Charlie • Delta • Echo • Rexy|